The BET AWARDS 12 was all kinds of wonderful at The Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles last evening.
The star-studded show featured Samuel L. Jackson as host and a lineup of outstanding nominees, including Beyonce, Kanye West, Rihanna, Mary J. Blige, Drake, Trey Songz, Lil Wayne, Chris Brown and Serena Williams. Of course, there was also the Whitney Tribute, which I’m sure got plenty a makeup look in the Auditorium smudged.
As usual, fashion emerged as one of the big highlights, and there are a couple observations I can’t help but mention.
- As one of my Twitter friends remarked, there seems to be no unspoken dress code for the Awards. It is definitely an “anything goes” kind of affair. From basic T-shirts to formal gowns to cocktail dresses to gym-inspired outfits, attendees really seemed to have worn whatever they felt like. (see: Willow Smith, Meek Mill, Rick Ross, etc.)
- Yellow was the official color of the red carpet. Perhaps a blatant nod to summer, it seemed like everyone was bedecked in the sunshiny hue: Beyonce, Kenya Moore, Letoya Luckett, Rebecca King-Crews, Tatyana Ali, Wendy Raquel Robinson. That’s a whole lot of yellow!
- Quite a few people made an effort to make the BET AWARDS 12 feel like, well, a red carpet. See Meagan Good, Rocsi Diaz, Selita Ebanks.
- Backless and white almost trended as a theme, with Eva Pigford (Marcille) and Kim Kardashian rocking similarly themed looks. Kim, however, was the front runner–hands down.
- High fashion still has a place at the Awards show, with Monica stylishly standing out in a McQueen gown.
I’ve got to admit, in spite of all its fashion faux pas and unwelcomed style surprises, BET AWARDS still somehow manages to get my attention every year–even if I grudgingly watch.
Now, to the photos.