I recently read that a woman is likely to spend $15,000 on beauty products in her lifetime.
Hard to believe? Not really!
For instance, since sharing my six beauty faves last year, I’ve (re)discovered seven new ones and will likely have a brand new list of top picks this time next year.
So what’s new in my beauty routine? Seven life-changing (yes, really!) products.
1. Voluminous Miss Manga Mascara by L’Oréal Paris – I’d pretty much given up on mascaras that claim to have extension-like powers but this one gets my vote. Volume? Check. Length? Check. I’m totally in love with the wide-eyed effect that it has. Where to buy? Ulta stores
2. OPI GelColor – My days of messy manicures and pedicures, chipping and smudging are over! OPI GelColor is long-lasting and best of all, dries before you head out the salon door. My all-time favorite color is Mod About You Pastel. And here’s a tip: invest in your preferred hue and take it with you when you see your nail technician, just in case they’re running low or completely out of it. Where to buy? Professional beauty suppliers; Mozaic (Barbados)
3. Sephora Collection Cream Lip Stain – This is, hands down, the longest lasting lip color I have ever worn. Sometimes, after a 14-hour day, it’s still going strong. Always Red and Endless Purple are my faves. Where to buy? Sephora; Exotica Makeup and Extensions (Barbados)
4. NYX Angel Veil Skin Perfecting Primer – I trust makeup artist Brandie Stewart with my face, so when she recommended this product, I bought it without hesitation. The Angel Veil Primer is a leaps-and-bounds improvement on the Photo-Loving Primer I once couldn’t live without. Even after hours out in the sun, my makeup remains flawless, smooth, and shine-free when I include this in my regimen. Where to buy? Ulta stores; Exotica Makeup and Extensions (Barbados)
5. Brocato Vibrastrait Oscillating Flat Iron – There was a time when I once bought gadgets for my hair on the cheap. And I paid for it dearly in the end. From the smell of burning hair to overheating to under-heating, I’d been through it all. At first, I balked at the price but now I couldn’t be happier. From the digital temperature control to the sleek finish to the automatic powering off, it’s worth the investment. Where to buy? Folica; Ulta stores
6. Proactiv+ – When I had major acne issues during my college years, Proactiv came to the rescue. Nearly 10 years later, this product has made a comeback as Proactiv+. I first bought it about three months ago and the results are mind-blowing: fewer breakouts and dark marks, and undeniably brighter, smoother skin. I’m a fan all over again! Where to buy: Proactiv.com; Caribworld (Barbados)
7. EltaMD Sunscreen – I couldn’t mention Proactiv+ without including this product. When using Proactiv+, because of its active ingredients, you’ll need to use sunscreen. After going through several products (too thick, too greasy, too dry, weird-smelling), Dr. Donna Matthew, beauty doctor, recommended this one. It was perfect: lightweight with a silky finish, and drumroll…not smelly! Where to buy: Dermatologists’ offices; Caribbean Weight Loss Clinic and Spa